All Scheduled 2019 Classes will be held. 2019 RA Classes are full.
Look for us in La Crosse in the future.
Great riders aren't born. They're made.
Learn to ride - Or ride better - The H-D® way.
We would like to invite you to take the ride of your life! Learning to ride your own Harley-Davidson® motorcycle is one of the most exciting experiences you’ll have – but it is merely the beginning. The Riding Academy New Rider Course is designed to get you comfortable on 2-wheels, riding a Street® 500 as a dealer provided motorcycle. In the classroom you’ll get to know and practice how to prepare for situations you’ll encounter on the road. On the practice range, you’ll learn braking, turning and maneuvers like controlling skills, quick stops and U-turns.
New Rider Course What to expect
When you take a New Rider Course at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Learn to ride on a Genuine Harley-Davidson® Street® 500
- Receive full support of the entire Dealership staff, before, during and well after your class
- Learn systematically how to accelerate, shift, brake, turn from a stop, along with maneuvers like controlling skids, swerving and multiple-curves.
- Earn a Wisconsin Motorcycle Skills Waiver Form (exempting you from the WI DMV road test)
- Receive a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF®) Completion Card (which might get you a discount from certain vehicle insurance companies)
New rider course FAQs
What will I need to register?
You'll need a valid Wisconsin or Minnesota automobile driver's license and have the ability to ride and balance a bicycle.
For Wisconsin, you do NOT need to hold a Motorcycle Temporary Permit before class because you are on private property. If you intend to ride on the road prior to class and over 18 years of age, it is strongly suggested you do earn the Temporary Permit to remain a legal motorcyclist. Our program WILL NOT satisfy the requirements of the State of Wisconsin for student under the age of 18.
For Minnesota, if you are over 18 years of age, a Motorcycle Temporary Permit is REQUIRED and must be present at class time. Please contact us for the steps needed for Minnesota students under the age of 18.
For all students it in now required that you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation eCourse within 30 days of the last date of your scheduled class.
There is a $19.99 fee associated with this test, payable through the website to the Motorcycle safety Foundation. The website address is: http://www.msf-usa.org. Completion certificate is required at class time.
Please print, read and complete the forms below and bring them to the first night of class.
All classes are held at the Harley-Davidson Shop of Winona.
Do I need any special gear?
You'll need to brind the following:
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear, preferably boots with very low heel
- Full-fingered gloves (preferably leather)
- A DOT approved helmet (preferably three-quarters or full-faced)
- Eyewear, including sunglasses, prescription glasses or clear glasses